Seaside programmers in Singapore?

Posted in Seaside by sausheong on February 25, 2007

I’ve been fiddling around with Seaside for a while now and I was wondering if there is anyone in Singapore (besides myself) doing it. Would be interesting to hear from someone, anyone, either a beginner like myself or a veteran Smalltalker perhaps? It would be nice to talk shop to someone nearer at home. I think there is probably too little current interest to start up Seaside community in Singapore but if there is anyone interested in exploring or learning this together do drop me a note. Would love to hear from you.

1. Harro! said, on February 25, 2007 at 1:40 pm

Nope. Smalltalk is used by very select engineer groups. The last time I heard anyone useing it was in the military for AI apps.

The question is what are you using it for?

We’ve listed you at http://harro.com btw. Cheers.

2. sausheong said, on February 25, 2007 at 2:00 pm

Hi,

Seaside is a web application framework written in Smalltalk. It’s not widely used but there are some public web apps that are using it today.

I think IBM uses it quite a bit for some financial applications as well, I have a friend who used to work in Smalltalk in IBM as well.

The answer to your question is Seaside as a web application framework :)

Thks for your listing.

3. Harro! said, on February 28, 2007 at 10:45 pm

I did drop by the Seaside website some time ago, when I was comparing CMS systems. For some reason, people were comparing it with Drupal and the likes.

So have you creating anything interesting with Seaside yet? :)

4. sausheong said, on February 28, 2007 at 10:50 pm

The comparison is wrong. Drupal is a CMS while Seaside is a web application framework. The correct comparison would be to things like Rails or Struts. There is a CMS created in Seaside called Pier though.

I’m still exploring Seaside but I believe its flexibility and potential is worth taking a serious look at.

5. Md Taufik said, on March 14, 2007 at 12:35 pm

Yup.

Right now, I know of 2 others due to some project that we did using smalltalk seaside.

But did a few hacks with the ODBC package for MSSQL, that make me feel a bit “sick” of the implementation.

But seaside .. its cool, except for the ugly URL of s and k

6. sausheong said, on March 14, 2007 at 4:01 pm

Excellent! Maybe there is hope for a Seaside community in Singapore after all :)

7. Michael Lim said, on May 2, 2007 at 9:59 am

I came across Seaside as well, looks like very interesting stuff. How’s the performance and scalability like? Is it true that because it saves the web states the memory and server requirements will increase?

I do think it’s an interesting framework, but I would want a bigger developer ecosystem around it, before I actually dive into it. Or just show me a really cool web app written on it! ;-)

8. sausheong said, on May 2, 2007 at 11:10 am

Seaside is the web framework to look out for. The community is small now but it is exploding. I think a bigger developer ecosystem will be coming soon as well as more commercial support. GemStone just announced a port to their server yesterday, which will be free.

For a really cool app, try DabbleDb. DabbleDb is created by Avi Bryant, the same person who wrote Seaside and is still actively involved in the development albeit joined by many others.

I can give a short demo on Seaside anytime if there’s enough interest and if we can get Ivan to offer the facilities again :)

9. Michael Lim said, on May 5, 2007 at 10:02 am

Nice application.

Cool, will be looking forward to the Seaside demo. Should be interesting as well! :-)

10. Jerome Chan said, on June 13, 2007 at 5:42 pm

Why isn’t smalltalk used more often in Singapore?

11. sausheong said, on June 23, 2007 at 12:40 am

There’s a stiffer learning curve than most and for people who are weaned on Java and C and C++, it’s not an easy transition. It’s unfortunate but I think Singaporean programmers (and I mean by residency, not by birth), either from education or upbringing, has a tendency to be pragmatic and therefore goes for the most commercially viable tool.