My first contribution to an O’Reilly book (Rails Cookbook)

Posted in general, Rails by sausheong on October 31, 2006

A few years ago, I was very much into writing technical articles for magazines. My most profilic years were from 2001 to 2002 and I published about 6 – 7 articles in various magazines, including Javaworld, Java Report and Dr. Dobb’s Journal. At that point in time one of my greatest ambition was to write a full-length technical book (on Java of course) for O’Reilly. I had racks of books by O’Reilly (close to 40 I think), mostly Java related and I had a burning desire to display my very own O’Reilly book among them.

I submitted a proposal of course, and other proposals to other publishers but sadly none went through.  After a while the burning desire simmered underneath other more critical issues like surviving the dot-com bust and the elipva Incident as well as other rising interests like my growing interest in Law.

So when I saw a mail in the Ruby on Rails mailing list calling out for contributions for an O’Reilly Rails book, I jumped at the opportunity. No doubt, my contribution is pretty small compared to the rest of the book (I contributed only 3 recipes) but at least I have made a small step towards it. Who knows, it may spark me again to start an O’Reilly book proposal again :)

Best of all O’Reilly is giving me 4 books (besides a token sum) as a gesture of appreciation. Time to stock up on the O’Reilly books again! Any suggestions on what to get?

1. Kamal said, on November 1, 2006 at 7:33 am

Congratulations! My only recommendation is to get Ruby Cookbook to complement your Rails Cookbook. I have it in deadtree form and it’s great for leisurely flipping through a random page to read a recipe.

Any hints what your 3 recipes are?

2. sausheong said, on November 1, 2006 at 8:38 am

Thks! My few recipes are concerning creating web mashups using Rails.

3. herry said, on November 1, 2006 at 9:21 am

Hey, congrats!! Glad to hear that.

4. Chu Yeow said, on November 1, 2006 at 10:12 am

Grats man, good to see one of your dreams fulfilled (partially :P). I guess in a way I was lucky to have a publisher approach me instead of the other way around… Of course, O’Reilly is on a whole different level of technical publishers.

5. sausheong said, on November 1, 2006 at 10:25 am

Haha, thks! I wished I had someone approaching me to publish :( How did you manage that?

6. Chu Yeow said, on November 1, 2006 at 11:44 am

Ah… Same way you did really, through blogging. And to some extent I knew the SitePoint guys through moderating their forums.

7. Cheyenne Tobon said, on January 16, 2010 at 4:16 am

It’s great that you took the time to write all this up; it’s great to see another’s opinion. I respect your work on this post, and I’ll return for more reading.